4219 Medical Education Research Facility
375 Newton Rd
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242
Lab maintenance: ordering supplies; maintenance of mouse strains, making media and buffers; routine use and maintenance of laboratory equipment including an anaerobic culture system, centrifuges and PCR thermocyclers.
Molecular biology: purification of both eukaryotic and bacterial genomic DNA; mini prep and maxi prep extractions; DNA electrophoresis; conventional and quantitative PCR; measurement of G+C content in bacteria genomic DNA; plasmid transformation of bacteria.
Cell biology and biochemical analysis: sterile tissue culture; cellular transfection; SDS-PAGE electrophoresis, immunoprecipitation of target proteins from cell lysates; immunoblotting and western blots.
- Familiar with ELISA to detect serum cytokine levels
- Immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescence staining
- in vitro: tumor cell colony forming assay; migration assay; invasion assay; anoikis (programmed cell death) assay; establishment of cancer cell lines from fresh tumor specimens
- in vivo: injection of tumor cells into mice; measuring tumor growth in mice; tissue dissection; protein extraction from tumors; i.p. drug injection; analysis of metastasis
- Lin Zhu, Wei Li and Xiuzhu Dong. Species identification of genus Bifidobacterium based on partial HSP60 gene sequences and proposal of Bifidobacterium thermacidophilum subsp. porcinum subsp. nov. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2003 Sep;53(Pt 5):1619-23.
- Lu-Hai Wang, Joseph Chan and Wei Li. Rapamycin together with herceptin significantly increased anti-tumor efficacy compared to either alone in ErbB2 over expressing breast cancer cells. Int J Cancer. 2007 Jul 1; 121(1):2911-8.
- Peter Schlosshauer, Wei Li, Kelvin Lin, Joseph Chan, Lu-Hai Wang. Rapamycin by itself and additively in combination with carboplatin inhibits the growth of ovarian cancer cells. Gynecol Oncol. 2009 Sep;114(3):516-22.
- Weizhou Zhang, Wei Tan, Xuefeng Wu, Maxim Poustovoitov, Amy Strasner, Wei Li, Nicholas Borcherding, Majid Ghassemian, and Michael Karin. A NIK-IKK module expands ErbB2-induced tumor- initiating cells by stimulating nuclear export of p27/Kip1. Cancer Cell. 2013 May 13;23(5):647-59. PMID: 23602409. PMCID: PMC3981467.
- Qing Xie, Julia Klesney-Tait, Kathy Keck, Corey Parlet, Nicholas Borcherding, Ryan Kolb, Wei Li, Lorraine Tygrett, Thomas Waldschmidt, Alicia Olivier, Songhai Chen, Guang-hui Liu, Xiangri Li, Weizhou Zhang. Characterization of a novel mouse model with genetic deletion of CD177. Protein Cell. 2015 Feb;6(2):117-26. PMCID: PMC4312768
- Nicholas Borcherding, David Kusner, Ryan Kolb, Qing Xie, Wei Li, Gabriel Velez, Ryan Askeland, Ronald J. Weigel, Weizhou Zhang. Paracrine Wnt5a signaling inhibits the expansion of tumor-initiating cells. Cancer Res. 2015 May 15;75(10):1972-82. PMID: 25769722; PMCID: 4433621.
- Ryan Kolb, Liem Phan, Nicholas Borcherding, Yinghong Liu, Fang Yuan, Ann M Janowski, Qing Xie, Kathleen R Markan, Wei Li, Matthew J Potthoff, Enrique Fuentes-Mattei, Lesley G Ellies, Michael Knudsen, Mong-Hong Lee, Sai-Ching Jim Yeung, Cassel L Suzanne, Fayyaz S Sutterwala, Weizhou Zhang. Obesity-associated NLRC4 inflammasome promotes angiogenesis in breast cancer. Nature Communications. 2016. Oct 6;7:13007. Doi: 10.1038/ncomms13007. PMID: 27708283.
- Fang Yuan, Ryan Kolb, Wei Li, Lin Sun, Fuyou Liu, Fayyaz S. Sutterwala, Yinghong Liu, Weizhou Zhang. Involvement of NLRC4-inflammasome in diabetic nephropathy. PLoS One. 2016 Oct 5;11(10):e0164135. PMID: 27706238. PMCID: PMC5051905.